Saturday, April 20, 2013

Life After Chemo


Hello Everyone-

This is a post that John started on April 8th that we didn't get published--
-------------------------------------------------
Today marks exactly one month since Brooke had her final chemo treatment.  The obvious question then is, what are you going to do now?  We're going to Disneyland!

It's true, we're taking a trip to Disneyland, and the whole family will be there (including Jake and Maren who are flying in from North Carolina).  This is actually the vacation to celebrate Kelsie's graduation, but we're taking it a bit early because this month is the only time we can get the whole family together, mostly because Jordan will be leaving for his Air Force training in early May and won't be back with us until December.

Here's the update on the last month.  Things are going very well.  Brooke is doing better and better every day, and having the mental burden of chemo in the rear-view mirror is a remarkable spirit booster. Some good things about the last few weeks:  

  • She is able to get up around, and most importantly, out.  
  • She has been to Church two weeks in a row now, the first time in several months.  
  • She watched all of General Conference and actually attended a session in the Conference Center. 
  • Her nausea is mostly gone, which makes eating and overall enjoyment of life much better. 
  • It will be a while before her hair starts growing back, but at least she knows it's coming (no such hope for me!).
Brooke has also started her herceptin treatments. There really are no side effects except for the very small  possibility (which occurs in about 4% of patients) of impacting heart function which they will  watch closely -- she had another echocardiogram just before her first herceptin treatment and everything looks good.  She will get an echo every few months until she's done.

The herceptin treatments will be every three weeks and are done in American Fork.  The treatments only last about 30 minutes, which is great.  She needs to have a total of 18 treatments.  She had 3 with her first chemo regimen and now has had her fourth, so there are 14 more, meaning she is scheduled to finish those treatments in mid-January of 2014.

The other thing that is coming up is surgery.  It is  scheduled for April 26th.  This will be more reconstructive surgery done by the plastic surgeon.  Surgery is surgery, but this should not be nearly as serious or invasive as the October surgery.  It will be an outpatient procedure.  We're looking forward to getting past this hurdle.
----------------------------------------------------
That is the end of John's post.  It has now been over a month and a half since I had my last chemo treatment and, thankfully, it seems like a lifetime ago.  

We had a wonderful time in Disneyland.  I have always loved Disneyland but, honestly, the best thing about it this time was having our whole family together.  It will probably be a long time before that happens again.

I did pretty well keeping up with everyone at Disneyland or maybe they just slowed way down to accommodate me.  The first two days I had to end a little early.  The last day I made it through until The World of Color.  Everything from my shoulders down was aching by that point and it took me a long time to walk back to the Hotel but it was worth it just to spend that time with my family.

I'm going to post some pictures but I need to explain something first.  I was worried about riding some of the rides and trying to keep my bald head covered.  I didn't think a hat would work very well so I bought a long, curly, red-haired wig just for fun.  I figured I could hold on to the long hair easier than a hat.  So that person in the pictures that looks like she should be Maren's mom is actually Jake, Jordan, Derek, Kelsie, Seth and Lisa's mom.  (And, by the way, I like this wig so much better than the other one that I'm going to be wearing it from now on.  So if you see John around town with a redhead don't be too worried or start any rumors!)  Here are the pictures:

Buying tickets -- thank goodness for military discounts!
The Obligatory Disney Pic with the Whole Gang
The Birthday Girl!
Opening Presents
Trying Not to Set Off the Hotel Smoke Alarm
Lisa & Seth's First Time on California Screamin' -- Don't They Look Excited!?
John and a Redhead 
The Girls 
Brooke and Jake 
A Cannon Traffic Jam in Cars Land
Jordan and Lisa Ready to Swing 
Maren and Lisa with the Starfish they Saved from the Seagull 
At Newport Beach 
Cool Day at the Beach 
John and Kelsie Chillin'
Kelsie Saving the (Hair) Day! 
D!!!
Splashdown! 
Bear Built by Lisa 
Cars Land 
The Whole Gang in Radiator Springs


Now that I'm home again I feel like I'm on a little roller coaster emotionally.  My whole focus for the last few months has been to make it through chemo then go to Disneyland.  I  guess I thought that after those things happened I would just be normal again.  I am learning that I am going to have to be patient some more, not only with the Lord's timing but with myself.  I feel so much better but I still have a long ways to go to full recovery.  I just don't have much energy and get tired very quickly.

On a happy note, though, my hair is starting to grow.  If you look really really closely you can see it blowing in the wind!  I remember at the beginning of all of this I wrote in a post that I didn't know if I would be brave enough to post bald pictures.  I have met so many brave chemo patients through all of this that have inspired me that I decided to be brave.  So here I  am, on Easter Sunday, in all of my bald glory . . .





As always, I am so grateful for so many things:
  • First and foremost, of course, are my Savior, Heavenly Father, and the Holy Ghost who carried me through, comforted, and gave me peace during the last seven months.  
  • Followed by a very close second in John who is my best friend, champion, guardian, coach, cheerleader, inspiration, comedian, heaven on earth and so much more.
  • My wonderful children.  They make life fun and interesting, keep me going, and are so good to me.
  • All of you who care about me and show that care in so many different ways.  
I love you all and thank you for helping me make it through!

-Brooke

4 comments:

  1. I think you're beautiful in your Easter pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Brooke, you are beautiful! Love you so much!
    Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being done with that nasty chemo.
    I think you look great!

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete