Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Tender Exchange


I had a very sweet experience last night.  Lisa, who often has late night stomach aches, was having another one.  I had prayed to be able to answer a question she had asked of me several times which was, "Why doesn't Heavenly Father answer my prayers?  I've prayed a billion times to have these stomach aches go away."  I know now, why I hadn't been able to answer the question, which should have been a question I could easily answer.  

Having been to Kelsie and Seth's marching band competition in Logan, 2 1/2 hours away, we had gotten home late.  That, coupled with the fact that I was recovering from a cold, had made me very tired and I may have groaned (hopefully only inwardly) when Lisa reported another stomach ache.  Sometimes these stomach aches can eat up most of a night.  

She went into my bathroom and I went to lay on my bed and wait.  While she was in the bathroom Derek came home from a date and, after telling us about the date,  John asked him to try to help Lisa get back to bed.

Derek went to talk to Lisa through the bathroom door and could not have been sweeter with her.

He empathized with her when she told him about praying a billion times to have these stomach aches stop.  He told her that he had had a similar experience when he was at boot camp.  He said he prayed all the time that he might be able to run faster, do more pull-ups and just generally feel better but the answer was always, "No."  He said he felt like Heavenly Father wanted him to learn some things, one of which was humility.

Then he asked her if she thought maybe Heavenly Father wanted her to learn some things and that's why the answer to her prayers was, "No."

She said, "Maybe."

He asked her what she thought she was supposed to learn.  She didn't know.

He told her that maybe she was supposed to learn what Mom would be going through when she had chemo so she would know how to help her.

Lisa thought that might be right.

Derek told her to pray and ask Heavenly Father if that's what she was supposed to learn from having stomach aches.  He told her he would sit right there and wait while she prayed.

A few minutes later she called to Derek and told him that she felt like that was why she was supposed to have those stomach aches.

There were scriptures quoted as Derek told Lisa about Jesus and how He had experienced everything when He was in the Garden of Gethsemane so that He could help us through our trials and that He knew exactly what Lisa was feeling right now so she could ask Him to help her through it.  And about how people are given weaknesses so that we will learn to rely on Heavenly Father and then He makes our weaknesses into strengths.  And there was more tender loving care given as Derek helped Lisa to bed and gave her a warmed corn bag for her tummy.

I laid in bed with tears running down my cheeks as I listened to this big tough Marine minister to his little sister and silently thanked Heavenly Father for being able to witness such a tender exchange.

These are the kinds of things that will keep me going through the next several months.

- Brooke

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say 'thanks' for sharing such a tender personal story with the rest of us. I love hearing stories about the sweet things that go in houses that we never see. I love those two so much myself, and I can see where that would carry you a long way as a mom. But let's not forget that they learned that kindness and empathy from an awesome mom and dad - what a sweet reward of parenthood. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brooke:

    Tears, tears and more tears. So many people in so many places love you and John and your sweet children. I have on my nightstand the little book that Lisa made me the Sunday night after Jen's wedding entitled, "What I Like About You" I look at it frequently and think about what a miracle girl she is and how angels are all around us. I am so grateful for that evening I got to spend with you all and the delicious meal you so graciously hosted and prepared with John & the kids help. You two are a great team and put together with your entire family have so much faith and hope and love. You are an awesome example to the rest of us and we all love and support you night and day. Our hearts will be in AF (they already have been) but we'll amp it all up for the coming week. We are lucky to have you in the Cannon family. XXOO

    I love you! Martie :-)


    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears right now. I love that tough marine of yours, too! What an absolutely wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More tears over here! What a beautiful story, and true tender mercies to remember forever. Thank you for sharing it with us. This speaks volumes about the faith and hope you have taught your children, and how they are taking all these lessons into their hearts, especially when their hearts are so heavy.

    Thank you also for starting this blog so that we don't have to feel like we're interferring with your family time, but can still keep up to date with how you are doing. We CARE about you and all your family! Love you!

    ReplyDelete