Friday, October 5, 2012

Prayers and Such

Hi Everybody-

Coming to you from the hospital waiting room today (not quite the same ring as "Live from New York" but there you have it).  Brooke was taken into surgery just before 2:00 this afternoon, so I'm obviously just waiting for the surgeons to come out and tell me how things have gone.

While I'm waiting, my thoughts have turned to the many expressions of love and support that we've had from so many people, and I simply wanted to say thank you.  Your prayers, emails, visits, phone calls, texts, messages, cards, gifts, food, etc. have been a remarkable strength to Brooke and all of us.

Before we left for the hospital this morning Brooke was sitting on the bedroom floor surrounded by notes, pictures, and printouts of all kinds that she was putting into her "cancer scrapbook" as she called it (I think we need to work on that name).  The response and support has really been amazing.

Let me share one specific experience that came from an unexpected source to make  the point.

Before all this happened, I was scheduled to be in Dallas this week for three days representing the Church as part of an anti-gambling coalition that is holding its national board meetings this week.  When we found out about the cancer and then that the surgery would be today (the meetings are still going on today), I changed my travel plans to make it a 24 hour trip so that I could be here with Brooke.

So yesterday I was sitting in a board meeting in Texas with about 15 people representing a variety of constituencies.  The board includes several different organizations, including academics and others, and many of them are faith-based representatives (like me representing the LDS Church), including Baptists, Methodists, and Catholics.  I was welcomed warmly into the group yesterday morning and we proceeded with our business.


In the early afternoon, shortly before I was to head to the airport to return home, one of the other members gave a report about the health of a former board member who has had significant physical challenges.  My colleague who was with me at that point mentioned (with my permission) that I would be leaving soon and told them just a little bit about Brooke.  

One of the other board members (who happens to be a devout Catholic) suggested to the board chair (who happens to be a devout Mormon) that we should pray for this former board member and for Brooke. The chair turned to another board member (who happens to be a devout Baptist) and asked him to lead us in prayer.  

So in the middle of this board meeting the 15 of us in the room bowed our heads together and joined in prayer for Brooke, lead by this wonderful gentleman from Alabama.  It was a beautiful and sincere prayer by a man of great faith, joined by faithful believers of different denominations from around the country.  The spirit in the room was strong, and the love and support I felt from these new friends was moving.  After the prayer, several of them indicated that Brooke would be on their prayer lists at their various congregations.  I got a text from my colleague today who is still at the meeting that they prayed together again for her this morning.

Anyway, the point of the post is to say thank you.  Thank you for your prayers, your love, and your kindness shown to Brooke and our family in so many ways.

- John

P.S.  Brooke's surgery will likely last until about 6:00 tonight.  I'll post another update later.

3 comments:

  1. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love the Cannons in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story John. Many people of many faiths here in VA have likewise expressed their concern and that she would be remembered in their groups. It's awesome and very humbling to live amongst such faithful, devout people who reach out to others regardless of their standing or faith and are willing to pray and share Brookes name with others. God hears and answers all of the prayers of all of his children. Not always quite the way we want, probably better. Our faith and prayers continue to be offered on her behalf (and yours) and esp. the kids at this difficult time. It's been a long day of waiting more for you but our day is winding down here on the East coast. Waiting for word.....
    I love you all, Martie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool experience. Glad you included it.

    ReplyDelete